Monday, March 26, 2007

Being Danish Means Never Having to Say You're Sorry

Q: How do you say "excuse me" in Danish?
A: You don't. If you need to get past someone you just push them out of your way.

Americans notice it early on. Richmonders notice it the moment they step off the plane. People here are so rude! They aren't, of course, but that's how it seems before you understand the culture. Danes simply go about their business without acknowledging the incidental contact that is part of everyday life.

If one needs to get from point A to point B and person C is in the way, one uses one's hand to move person C to non-linear point D and then one proceeds to point B. No need to say "excuse me". The same goes when you accidentally bump someone while trying to squeeze past. It is understood that the bump was unintentional, so why bother saying "sorry"? It is a waste of everyone's time.

For the first few days it was pretty jarring, but then one day I realized how much I enjoyed this custom. Frankly, it is liberating. Why do Americans feel compelled to say "excuse me" dozens of time each day? Awkward smiles accompanied by "I'm sorry, but I need to get by". Are we really sorry? No! We just need to get down the street and go about our business. Let's not make a federal case of it.

I've brought this mindset with me back to the States, but I can already feel it fading. A few more trips to uber-friendly Ukrops and I am afraid I'll lose it completely. But until then I plan to do some serious shoving, so watch out... I need to get over there and I'm not sorry.

3 comments:

Krishna said...

I'm with you, brother.

And on a different note, Pat Benatar is coming back to Richmond this August. Are you in or are you in?

SomeGuyInVA said...

Oh yes, I'm down with Pat. Count me in.

Márcia W. said...

Ha, for a moment I thought you were talking about the Dutch! Just came to check and give "constructive criticism". The blog looks nice. Good luck.